Friday, January 13, 2012

In the Wilderness

I heard a speaker talk today and I was blown away.  He spoke exactly what my heart needed to hear at the perfect moment.

He talked on the idea of being 'in the wilderness.'  Throughout Scripture, there are many of examples of people entering this wilderness.  The wilderness is in fact an actual, physical place (located in the eastern part of the world) - but you can also think of it as a figurative place as well.

In Scripture we see all sorts of people who were sent into, ran into, or chose to go into the wilderness.  People like Moses, Sarah, Joseph, and even Jesus.

Sometimes God brought people into the wilderness to prepare them.
Sometimes people went into the wilderness because of their own sin.

Often times, words associated with the wilderness include:

Shame
Guilt
Fear
Depression
Worry
Anxiety
Loneliness


For me personally, this last month I've definitely been in the wilderness.  At the end of finals week in December I was defeated.  I was emotionally, physically, and spiritually worn out.  


During that week I had two options: press further into God OR turn away.  This is the choice we all have when faced with our own personal seasons of wilderness.  Sadly, many chose to turn away from God - even get angry with God that they are in this wilderness.  And this, is the choice I made.  


My Bible got dusty, I chose to listen to mainly secular music, and my pray life dwindled.


I could have chose to press in further, but instead I let my heart grow colder.  Because of this, I went through a month of stumbling, slipping, and sliding.  Many of us, find ourselves in this wilderness season often, and it usually looks different for everyone.


What I want to say is take courage and have hope if you find yourself in a similar season.  A down-and-out sort of place.  A rusted-and-chipped spot.  A I-can't-do-it-another-day stage.  


Check the verse: Deuteronomy 8:2-4 "Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.  He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." 


Resist turning away from God.  Its hard.  Its not easy.  And you might be in the wilderness for awhile.
But the good news is, 


the wilderness doesn't last forever.   



1 comment:

  1. Great post Samantha! I totally understand this wilderness stage you're talking about. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel:)

    ReplyDelete