Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tell Someone

Today, I was sitting in Caribou - like any old regular Wednesday evening.  It is my favorite spot to study.  I have coffee, treats, space, light background music, all at my disposal.  I could not ask for a better environment.  

As I sat there, happily listening to my "Jack Johnson/Casting Crowns" mixed Pandora Radio Station, memorizing the 206 bones of the human body, a woman walks up to me.  This evening, it was particularly crowded in Caribou and I happened to have a large table all to myself.  As she approached, I assumed that she was going to ask if we could share tables.  

She stood next to my table.  I took my headphones off, looked up at her, and smiled politely.  She flashed a bright white smile back at me.  I noticed she was dressed quite well for a Wednesday night at Caribou, but I didn't dwell on it that much.  After a moment she asked, "may I ask you a question?" to which I responded, "sure."  Mistake 1.  

She looked very enthusiastic all of a sudden.  It was then I realized the microphone and camera behind her.  The next few moments were a blur.  She said something about being from a news station, and then asked me my thoughts and opinions on the death of Steve Jobs.  

My mind went blank.  I didn't know what to say, so naturally I said "um I'm sorry, who?"  Mistake 2.  She crinkled her eyebrows in disgust and with thick sarcasm and a snappy tone said "are you serious?"  To which I responded with a blank stare, wanting to sink into the chair.

She hesitates, then turns to the man at the table next to me and says, "you know who Steve Jobs is - right?"  And of course, like the rest of the word, he knew who Steve Jobs was.  He not only knew who Steve Jobs was, but continued to eloquently comment on the death of Steve Jobs and his opinions on the company and what was to come.  

She proceeded to make her rounds to all of the Caribou customers - all of who knew who Steve Jobs was.  While I pretended to listen to my Apple iPod - I heard her say from across the room - "you guys know who Steve Jobs is right? I can't believe some people don't!"  

Good grief.  I felt like the worlds biggest idiot.  

After my embarrassment had somewhat passed I began thinking about something more important than who Steve Jobs is.  It got me thinking about who Jesus is - and how many people would know who He is and what He died for if we went and asked them.

Would your family know?
Would your friends know?
Would your co-workers know?

And if not, what are you doing about it?

At the finale of your life - it will be more important that you know who Jesus is, than who Steve Jobs is.  And I'm glad to say that I may not have known who Steve Jobs was, but I know who Jesus is, and I know what He died for.

Get out of your comfort zone.  Ask someone.  Tell someone.  

Remember: 

Knowing Jesus > Knowing ______(insert any human being name)  

Blessings,
Samantha




2 comments:

  1. Good Post Sam! I would of felt like you if people came up to me and asked me who Steve Jobs is? I really didn't know who he was until he died. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete